ADMISSION STANDARDS AND REQUIREMENTS
Responsibility for admission decisions is vested in the Graduate Admissions Committee (GAC). All applicants seeking admission into a M.A. program must first meet the general admissions standard of and be admitted into the University. In addition to the general reqirements for admission to the University, applicants for M.A. degree program must also meet the following requirements.
Undergraduate preparation for the M.A. Degree
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, from an institution approved by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education or from a national or international institution that meets these standards.
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher (on a four-point scale) in all baccalaureate work. Based on individual merit, at the discretion of the GAC, an applicant whose grade point average is below 2.5 may be admitted into the program on a provisional status — requiring the applicant to complete the first 12 credit hours of graduate level courses with grades of “B” or above before receiving further consideration for regular standing in a M.A. degree program.
General Admission Procedure
Application forms for M.A. program is obtained from the university’s Office of Admissions and Records and returned to the office after completion. The following materials are required before a decision on admission can be made by the GAC:
- Official transcripts of all academic work taken since graduation from high school. A final official transcript indicating that the bachelor’s degree has been granted should be submitted. If the bachelor’s degree has not been granted at the time that the student applies for admission into a M.A. degree program, then the student — upon reception of the bachelor’s degree — should immediately make arrangements to have an official transcript sent to WCU indicating that the bachelor’s degree has been granted.
- Application Form: an application is valid for one year.
- Payment of the application fee—$100.00(nonrefundable).